- Sunscreen Ingredients Information
Sunscreen Ingredients Information
Author: Mary Gillespie
Once you try us you'll want to stay with us - discover why our customers keep coming back for more. Place your order today!
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends
- A chemical or physical block applied to your skin and or SPF clothing
- 4" brim hat and sunglasses
What's the difference?
- A sunscreen is an SPF 2 and higher.
- A sunblock has a physical sunscreen ingredient with an SPF 12 or higher.
- Products often contain a mixture of physical and chemical block ingredients.
What is a physical and chemical sunscreen ingredient?
- Chemical sunscreen ingredients absorb sunlight preventing sun damage, absorb into your skin, can cause allergic reactions, and burning eyes when perspiring.
- Physical ingredients sit on your skin’s surface forming a protective barrier and don’t have the ability to be absorbed into your skin. Light is either absorbed into the ingredient or reflected away from your body back into the atmosphere, similar to a mirror or tin foil. Our flesh tone Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 58 doesn't cause allergic reactions, burn your eyes when perspiring, and always recommended for children.
- Zinc oxide protects you from UVB and most of UVA providing more UVA protection than titanium dioxide. Listed at the top of the FDA monograph as effective sun protection and considered the best broad spectrum protection. We use transparent Z-Cote® combating the white and pasty appearance along with a chemical sunscreen in our popular youth-building formula Advanced Protection SPF 30 Sunscreen. Zinc oxide is also known for its mild antimicrobial and wound healing properties.
- Titanium dioxide protects you from UVB and short UVA radiation but not long UVA known to cause sun damage and aging in humans. Derived from the highly reflective chalky, white mineral, titanium, it's non-irritating, non-comedogenic, and for cosmetic use micronized by forming many small micro particles allowing your own skin tone to show.
UVA chemical ingredients
- Avobenzone, Parsol 1789, Dioxybenzone (UVB, UVAII), Ecamsule, Menthyl Anthranilate, Meradimate, Oxybenzone (benzophenone, benzophenone-3), Sulisobenzone (UVB, UVAII).
UVB chemical ingredients
- Aminobenzoic acid, Cinnamates (octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC), Ethylhexyl p-Methoxycinnamate, high incident of contact irritation, non comedogenic, widely used), Cinoxate, Dioxybenzone (UVB, UVAII), Ensulizole, Homosalate, Octocrylene, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Oxybenzone (UVB, UVAII), Octyl dimethyl paba, Padimate O, Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), Salicylates (octyl salicytate (OCS), high incident of contact irritation, widely used), Sulisobenzone (UVB, UVAII), Trolamine salicylate.
SPF Clothing, our favorite places
- 3 weeks is the time it takes for melanin to return to normal in your skin after stopping Retin-A, Renova, or other retinoic acid products to prevent sun sensitivity.